Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Olympic Baseball and the world of Blogging

Whaddya call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A stick

A just-completed check of blogsearchengine.com gave the following results:

References to Jeremy Roenick: 785
References to Sufjan Stevens: 6838
References to the IOC dropping baseball from the Olympics: 33

I'd seen the Olympics baseball story this morning, while perusing the very excellent Ballpark Digest, and thought it was a somewhat noteworthy development, even if it didn't exactly split my day in two. With college players instead of professionals playing for Team USA, the Summer Olympics baseball tournament was certainly a more intriguing tournament than the farcical basketball tournament that the Winter Olympics puts on. The IOC's decision hasn't inspired much discussion on any of the blogs or message boards that I've skimmed today, though, making me wonder if there's that much disinterest in amateur baseball.

Not that I'm really complaining, mind you. I mean, surfing the Internet did one good thing for me today, at least: otherwise I might never have found out that '80s icon Ally Sheedy has taken up writing about music under an assumed name, and doing a really awful job of it, too.