Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Russian hockey sticks must really suck

rema rema.. rema rema.. ha ha ha ha

This is an excerpt from an interview with Russian defenseman Denis Kulyash, who was the 8th round pick of the Nashville Predators in 2004 and plays with the CSKA Moscow (Central Army) team in Russia. This interview was taken from the always-reliable russianprospects.com...

Do you know that many consider your shot the strongest in the Russian Super League?
D. Kulyash: I’ve heard about it from a lot of people. Especially those people who remember my goal against Sibir, when I shot the puck from the red line (center ice). That was only 50 seconds into the game! I had just jumped on the ice, picked up the puck behind our goalie and then skated to the center of the ice. As a matter of a fact, our head coach Vyacheslav Bykov always tells us to skate forward in such situations. So, I glanced quickly at the keeper (goalie), and he did not look very focused on the game. As a result, I just shot from the center circle and scored. The rest of my goals I scored from the blue line.

Are there any special exercises you use for your shot strength?
D. Kulyash: After each team practice I always stay on the ice and shoot the puck. Of course, I do this only if there are any sticks left.

What do you mean: if there are any sticks left?
D. Kulyash: Well, I break them regularly! So far 53 sticks got broken already. When I practice my shooting skills, I smack the ice with the stick very hard, so the hook breaks at the same spot of the stick every time.

Have you ever injured any goalies?
D. Kulyash: They complain when the puck hits them hard. Besides that, the safety glass panes at the CSKA training rink get knocked to pieces. I've broken the glass three times already! Next time the team management promised to withdraw the damage costs from my paycheck…


Fifty-three is a lot of sticks for one player to break, especially considering that in Russia they play about 30 or so fewer games each year (between the regular season and playoffs) than in the AHL or NHL. Although I remember last season in the AHL there were a ton of sticks broken, sometimes 10 or 12 a game which was way more than usual, after the league entered into an exclusive equipment agreement with The Hockey Company that forced all the players to use the same crappy composite shafts and blades.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other news, Michael Bolton started working at the United Nations today. I'm outraged. I mean... What's that? John Bolton? Wow, I feel really stupid now.

8/2/05, 4:16 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

Yeah, it's easy to get the two of them mixed up. John Bolton is the U.N. Ambassador. Michael Bolton is the guy from "Office Space".

8/2/05, 4:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing job on your Blog! I'll definatly be coming back. If interested, my site is on corvettes.

8/2/05, 5:31 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

Say "hello" to Mark Hamill for me!

("Corvette Summer" joke, never mind..)

8/2/05, 7:55 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

9/6
Some additional information on Denis Kulyash-- he will now be playing for Dynamo Moscow....

(From russianprospects.com) RSL Moscow-based clubs Dynamo and CSKA finally agreed today on Denis Kulyash’s transfer agreement terms. In return for the talented young blue liner, CSKA will receive two defensemen – the veteran Alexander Zhdan and young Minnesota Wild prospect Grigori Misharin.

9/6/05, 10:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They use the same sticks which in NHL.
The problem is that Denis Kulyash shoots the puck harder than most players and he scrapes the ice.

10/26/11, 4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page