Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Friday, October 28, 2005

End of the line for the Russian Rocket?

Pavel Bure

According to several reports, Pavel Bure is about to be named General Manager of the Russian Olympic hockey team, in effect signaling his retirement from playing professional hockey. The following was taken from an interview with Bure in Sport Express:

If you are designated to be the General Manager of the Olympic team, will this signal the end of your career as a player?
I won't be able to say for sure until after I complete a forthcoming medical examination in North America (already scheduled for November). But if I had to take a guess based on the most recent X-rays, the diagnosis will not be a positive one. Nevertheless, I still hope that I have a chance to play again.

When did you learn of this proposal to become General Manager?
Apparently after learning about the X-rays, the President of the Russian Hockey Federation, Alexander Steblin, figured that I would not be able to join Team Russian at the Olympics in Torino as a player. And so, I was offered the post of General Manager.

Have you given a preliminary agreement?
I have been given the projected agreement, which I will study together with the lawyers and my advisers. I think everything will be settled within the next few days.

If you sign the agreement, what will be your plans on how to build the team?
Thus far, I have not completely thought this out. I can tell you that as soon as everything is in place, I will be able to describe my plans. Although I already have some ideas, nevertheless.



click here for Pavel Bure's player profile on tsn.ca

UPDATE: Here's a really awesome Pavel Bure highlight reel from when he was with the Canucks, which I found thanks to Tom Benjamin's NHL Weblog.

7 Comments:

Anonymous pricklypear said...

This makes me sad. I so looked forward to him being with the Rangers for the long haul. Now it doesn't look like he'll be able to make it anywhere. I hope he gets a good retirement settlement.

10/28/05, 10:20 AM

 
Anonymous pack attack said...

Well, now it can be said his playing career is dead and BURiEd.

10/28/05, 5:08 PM

 
Anonymous pack attack said...

Looking at Bure's 1992-93 stats it says he played 83 games during the regular season. Huh?

I could see how this is possible if a player was traded from a team who -- for example -- had played 42 games, and the new team had played 41 games at the time of the trade. But Pavel was not traded during that season.

Strange, indeed.

10/28/05, 5:33 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

"Well, now it can be said his playing career is dead and BURiEd."

Only slightly better than a "Raspberry Bure" joke, but I'll let it slide this time.

10/28/05, 8:53 PM

 
Blogger The Puck Stops Here said...

pack. In those days, the NHL season was 84 games long

10/30/05, 10:20 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

11/3/05

Here's a link to an interview with Bure from Russian Hockey Digest, in which Bure confirms his retirement and mentions plans for a "farewell match" next summer, and also discusses his new position as General Manager of Team Russia.

11/3/05, 7:48 AM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

11/5/05

Here's something else that's a little bit odd...

Bure wins libel suit

11/5/05, 8:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page