Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Those Stubby Penguins

Here, I found your stupid bike It's just wrong

Last night at the Harford Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins game I saw more stubby jerseys in one place than I had seen in my entire life, except for maybe every other time that the W-B/S Booster Club (a.k.a. The Travelling Wilkes-Barries) have been in Hartford. Since most of the WBSBC members are either about Gordie Howe's age or Eddie Gaedel's height (or both), they buy their jerseys really small-- and what they end up with for their troubles, more often than not, is a silly-looking jersey that barely reaches past their midriff and has sleeves that are longer than the hem.

I got a basketball jones
The W-B/S Booster Club annual softball game

Now, I'd rather not mock* any group of people that spends their entertainment money on hockey tickets and hockey jerseys. There's been plenty of that type of discussion lately (or not), and I'd like to avoid added to the pile. What I would like to do, while it's fresh in my mind (seeing as the Stubby Penguins were just in town yesterday), is gently point out to people that it's a hockey jersey. It would be nice if it looked like a hockey player might be able to wear it. When you wear a hockey jersey like a regular piece of clothing (i.e. without pads underneath), it's supposed to fit oversized, and not end up hanging above your crotchline like a sweatshirt you'd buy at Old Navy. Otherwise, when you put on your jersey, you'll end up looking somewhat like The Grinch...

I got holes in my jeans cuz my knees are too sharp

...and that's not funny!

*at least not in this particular sentence

2 Comments:

Anonymous pricklypear said...

That pic of the WBS "sweaters" don't do the stubby as much justice as that gnarly dude at the Wolf Pack games whose bare belly hangs out like he's waiting for a cheerleader to clean the lint from his belly button.

Now that's stubby.

11/16/05, 10:40 AM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

I guess there are guys who're proud of their beer belly, and want to show it to everyone.

Obviously, "goalie cut" isn't in his vocabulary.

11/17/05, 3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page