Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ovechkin tries again: "No one can compete with Ottawa"

A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a donut with no hole is a danish

Following up a 4-for-8 performance in his first-round predictions (including predicting a sweep of Edmonton by Detroit), Alexander Ovechkin is back with his selections for the quarterfinal round.

Alex's predictions are part of a pick'em contest that Sport Express has been featuring since the playoffs began, and so far Alex is in last place, behind Victor Fedorov (Sergei's and Fedor's father), Andrei Nazarov, and Valerie Bure.

Maybe for the next round, I'll start listing the picks of someone who is actually on the winning side of the ledger.

Just kidding...

"Everyone saw what happened with my predictions, but let's give it a try again." --Alexander Ovechkin

Buffalo vs. Ottawa - Ottawa will prevail in six games. This is a series between two aggressive, attacking teams, both having won in fine fashion in the first round, justifying my predictions. I am confident that Ottawa will come out on top. Now that Detroit has been eliminated, it seems to me that there is no one left who can compete with Ottawa in the battle for the Cup. Ottawa was one of the NHL's best in team defense, which is a main key to success. Even better, still, if Hasek returns...

New Jersey vs. Carolina -New Jersey in seven. I am very surprised that Carolina got past (Alexei) Kovalev and Montreal. I think their luck runs out here.

Edmonton vs. San Jose -Edmonton in seven. I won't say that the West is the weaker conference. Simply, Ottawa is the definite favorite, and all of the rest of the teams in the two conferences are about equal. Personally, in the West, I like Edmonton most of all-- a brilliant, quick, young team. I thought they'd be finished by Detroit, and subsequently, I'll be pulling for them. I can't have any belief in San Jose. Their outlook mainly results from two players, Thornton and Cheechoo, and in the playoffs they'll be asked to overcome more well-balanced opponents.

Colorado vs. Anaheim - Colorado in six. This series is difficult for me to predict, because I didn't face Colorado this year. I'm picking them over a team that we beat in the regular season.

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice
Ilya Kovalchuk (Ak Bars, Class of '04-'05) says, "Alex-- maybe it's
best to keep quiet!"


And, for you Ovechkin fans, here's an extra little treat.