Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Alexei Morozov signs 3-year deal with Ak Bars

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
Alexei Morozov

From an item that appeared earlier today in Sport Express:

Forward Alexei Morozov, a member of the '05-'06 Russian championship team Ak Bars who collected six trophies in the Russian Super League based on his play this past season, signed a new three-year contract with the Kazan club.

"I weighed the options, where it would be best for me to play. Ak Bars held all of the advantages for me. I didn't see any sense in making a change, and because of that, I decided not to wait until July 1st-- when Pittsburgh's rights to me in the NHL expire, and I would become an unrestricted free agent overseas. I very much want to win another championship with Ak Bars."

"We still have a definite interest in Morozov", Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero acknowledged three days ago. "He's a good player, but the entire question is at what cost. In this case, a long-term contract would be a large risk."

1 Comments:

Blogger Brushback said...

6/24/06

Russian Hockey Digest has posted an interview that Morozov did with Soviet Sport, in which he says, "I am perfectly happy with everything in Russia. The management of Ak Bars was very insistent on their will to keep me with the club. I am perfectly happy with my new three-year agreement.

"The likelihood of me playing in the NHL is nonexistent. Recently, I realized that I didn't want to move anywhere. Here I have an excellent coach and great teammates. The management of Ak Bars - true professionals. During my whole tenure at Ak Bars, I was not faced with a single problem."

According to Soviet Sport, Morozov's three-year deal does not contain an "out" clause.

6/24/06, 2:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page