Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Bryzgalov: "It's not impossible that I would play in Russia"

And Nietzsche, with his theory of eternal recurrence. Great. That means I'll have to sit through the Ice Capades again. It's not worth it
Ilya Bryzgalov

A short while ago, Sport Express posted an interview with Anaheim goalie Ilya Bryzgalov in which Bryzgalov talked about many things, ranging from Socrates and objective reality, to the stereotypical Russian view of Americans as being dullards ("There are different Americans, just as there are different Russians"). Bryzgalov also gave a nod to the Oilers, saying that in the end, "Edmonton proved to be stronger than us" (this, despite Bryzgalov being quoted after Game Four as saying, "It's obvious we've played better than Edmonton in all four games so far").

Given Bryzgalov's current status as a free agent (having just finished a one-year option on his contract with Anaheim), the interviewer tried to press the issue of Bryzgalov possibly considering a return to play in the Russian Super League-- something he hasn't done since playing in his hometown for Lada Togliatti in '00-'01 (Bryzgalov played for Cincinnati in the AHL during the lockout).

Here's what Bryzgalov had to say (mind you, this isn't one long answer by Bryzgalov, but instead was taken from a number of quotes, as he was asked the same question several times):

"My contract with Anaheim has ended. As the saying goes, now I am a free man. I do not even have an offer yet from Anaheim. We have not talked, though eventually we will. What's important to me now is that I am free to make my own decision on where to play. I can't say that it's impossible that I would play in the Russian Super League. If a very interesting proposal from Russia came about, then it is possible that I would consider it. If I were unhappy about something here, then why not return home?

"It's difficult to talk about this now, until I've talked with the team (Anaheim) about this. If Anaheim insisted on a specific dollar amount that wasn't acceptable to me, and they were unwilling to concede any further, then, yes, I would entertain contract offers from Russia.

"In answer to your question, I will say this: If, in the beginning of July when I go to Russia, I still don't have a contract with Anaheim, then it is possible that I will begin to talk with other people."

3 Comments:

Blogger gsdgsd13 said...

Now I'm curious what Bryzgalov had to say about Socrates and objective reality.

6/6/06, 1:07 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

He was talking about how we accept black as being black and white as being white because that's what we were taught, when it could just as easily be the opposite.

Something else Bryzgalov said seemed to suggest that he was already getting big offers from Russian, but then he paused and said, "Now isn't the best time to talk about this."

With Tretiak the head of Russian hockey now, there seems to be a concentrated effort for Russian teams to develop and use more Russian goalies.

Anton Khudobin said as much, when he signed with Metallurg Mg out of the Canadian juniors last week.

6/6/06, 3:41 PM

 
Blogger gsdgsd13 said...

He's rapidly becoming one of those random guys I like a lot. He just seems very, very interesting. Sign on as Atlanta's backup goalie, Ilya! I'll show ya all the good bars.

6/6/06, 10:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page