Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Kinda Similar, But Different

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing I'm not as good a swimmer as I used to be, thanks to evolution

One of these logos is from the Hartford Wolf Pack's upcoming 10th anniversary season. The other logo is from the Wolf Pack's 5th anniversary season. See if you can tell which is which. Everyone is allowed three guesses.

Now, I'm all for recycling (actually, I'm not-- I throw all of my recyclables in with the regular trash. If the impact of a meteor big enough to wipe out all the dinosaurs wasn't enough to finish this planet off, then I fail to see the harm my not saving a few aluminum cans is going to do), but I don't see the point in having two logos, 5 years apart, that look exactly the same-- unless this year's marketing slogan is going to be, "Why Bother?"

I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine

When it comes to slinging bullshit about the new season, though, I think the Florida Panthers so far have everyone beat.

From Goal-Oriented Campaign Begins, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, July 10th edition:

The Florida Panthers this week will launch their new advertising campaign. The new effort seeks to build on the team's on-ice momentum and fan enthusiasm to boost season ticket sales and drive consumer awareness for the sport.

"Since they finished on such a strong note last year, there's an excitement spinning off that," said Chad Johnson, senior vice president of sales and marketing with Sunrise Sports & Entertainment, the management company for the Bank Atlantic Center and the Florida Panthers. "We're trying to keep hockey on people's minds throughout the summer."

The campaign will include television, print, radio and billboard ads throughout South Florida, said Zev Auerbach, creative partner with Zimmerman, the Panthers Fort Lauderdale ad agency. Auerbach created the "Drop That Puck" theme after experiencing fan enthusiasm at the end of last year, he said. As summer turns to fall, the call to drop the puck and start the next season will grow stronger, he said.

"'Drop That Puck' speaks to the anticipation of the season," Auerbach said. "It's a war cry that says, 'Let's go.'"

South Florida is unique among hockey markets, Johnson said.
(Translation: Unlike everywhere else, nobody here really gives a shit about the hockey team.) While the fan base is loyal, the numbers aren't as strong as in other communities. So unlike other markets, where season ticket sales are robust and sellouts are common, the Panthers must be "more aggressive" to reach new fans.

And now, a man-on-the-street interview with one of those "excited and enthusiastic" Panthers fans...

Sidearm Delivery: Hey, Panthers fan-- what's your team's slogan gonna be this year?
Panthers Fan: "Drop That Puck"-- it's a war cry that says, "I'm gonna drop this piece of rubber on your foot!" *commences to tomahawk chop furiously*

(Anniversary logo images taken from packattack.org)

3 Comments:

Anonymous g12 said...

My my brushback were you a little angry when you wrote this entry?
When i was in Miami a few years ago the Panthers had a huge billboard up just outside downtown it said were an equal oppertunity employerer and it had Pete Worells picture. (swear to god No lie)
Funnist advertisement iv'e ever seen.

7/9/06, 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

Angry? Just the opposite-- I thought I was on a roll!

7/9/06, 2:46 PM

 
Anonymous pack attack said...

Title of Entry -

"Kinda Similar, But Different"

by 5 years

7/10/06, 10:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page