Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Coincidences In Rock


Peel

The other day-- by accident, I swear-- I was checking out the web site of an Austin, TX band called Peel, and the intro to one of their retro slacker-pop type songs reminded me a lot of Saturnine, a Brooklyn band from ages ago. So I dug out one of my 12-year-old Saturnine records, and sure enough, it's pretty much the exact same intro.

Listen for yourself:

Saturnine, "This Time, the Best" (1995)
Peel, "Sliding Doors" (2006)

You can also check out I Guess I'm Floating, where they've made a whole post of songs that sound like other songs.


Embrace (dischord.com)

Saturnine also make the list (on the good side) of "Bands Who Are Apparently Too Dumb To Realize There Already Was an Indie/Punk Band With The Same Name":

Saturnine vs. The Saturnine
Embrace vs. Embrace
The Fuck-Ups vs. The F-Ups
Nevertheless vs. Nevertheless
Fit For Abuse vs. Fit For Abuse
Heart Attack vs. The Heart Attacks

These aren't the only examples, I'm sure, just the ones I can remember right now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous wade blogs said...

Don't forget Gene Simmons trying to name his son Nick's band, "Chrome".

5/5/07, 11:03 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

The Ghost Sonata vs. The Ghost Sonata

6/2/07, 8:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page