Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Teenage Symphonies To God


Velvet Crush (Photo: Robert Fraser)

Velvet Crush are/were practically a local band, being from Rhode Island, so I probably missed them playing at Brass City Records in Waterbury a whole bunch of times, if not at least once. I really only own a couple of their records, but they were one of Damien Pratt's favorite bands, and since he's pretty much a legend around here that should be good enough.

Their second LP, "Teenage Symphonies To God", came out on Creation a whole thirteen years ago and was produced by Mitch Easter (of island fame), but it's not quite as twee as all of that might lead you to think. Just in case, I've pulled only the more crunchier songs here, save for their cover of Gene Clark's "Why Not Your Baby", which is normally not my sort of thing, but it's a great song that's grown on me a lot anyway.

The record kicks off with one of my top 25 or 50 favorite songs of all time (give or take about fifty or so), "Hold Me Up". The first 20 seconds or so are darn near perfect power-pop: a hi-hat counts off the intro-- you know, like "Back In Black"-- and then the first power-chord hits right before the opening line, "Deeaaaddddd on the phone..."

Like Christopher Arnott once said, "There's a lot worse things you could do than ape Cheap Trick and Big Star records your whole life." Actually, he never really said that, but it would make him a lot less of a dickhead if he did.



Hold Me Up (listen)
My Blank Pages (listen)
Why Not Your Baby (listen)
Time Wraps Around You (listen)
Atmosphere (listen)
#10
Faster Days
Something's Gotta Give
This Life Is Killing Me (listen)
Weird Summer
Star Trip
Keep On Lingerin'

Generic Sports Blog Disclaimer: With hockey in its off-season around here and my baseball writing skills rusted away, I'm going to keep myself awake here and there by highlighting a few records that I think deserve a second look. None of these will be particularly rare or anything, though things might improve if I ever get around to converting some of my vinyl collection to mp3s.

Tracks have reverted to listen-only files

5 Comments:

Anonymous Christopher Arnott said...

"There's a lot worse things you could do than ape Cheap Trick and Big Star records your whole life."
Anything to be less of a dickhead.

6/7/07, 1:07 AM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

I do not believe that was actually Chris Arnott, by the way.

7/23/07, 9:48 PM

 
Anonymous Kathleen said...

Actually, it was Christopher Arnott.

2/26/08, 6:11 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

Well, I'll be darned.

+1 for Chris.

2/26/08, 9:09 PM

 
Blogger DigMeOut said...

Check out a podcast review of Teenage Symphonies to God by Velvet Crush on Dig Me Out at digmeoutpodcast.com, a weekly podcast dedicated to reviewing lost and forgotten rock of the 90s.

11/8/11, 10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page