Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fedor Tyutin interview in SportsDaily.ru


#51 Fedor Tyutin

The other day, the ever-diligent Blueshirt Bulletin pointed out a Fedor Tyutin interview that appeared on hokej.cz, although they declined to pass along a translation, saying that sometimes it's just not worth all the nit-picking that it invites.

In any case, Hokej.cz actually picked up the Tyutin article from its original Russian source, sportsdaily.ru. Since I'm not above posting nit-pick-worthy translations of Russian hockey articles-- especially when they involve former Wolf Pack players (and one of my favorite Rangers players, to boot)-- I figured I'd throw this one up, too, in-depth or not.

"...The next season will be Tyutin's fourth in the NHL. A call from our reporter found Fedor with his parents in Izhevsk (Tyutin's home town), where Tyutin was playing football and spending time with his friends-- in other words, resting up from work. Towards the end of the summer, he plans to visit the city on the Neva (St. Petersburg, where Tyutin began his pro career)."

Why weren't you able to get to the World Championships, even though you would've been on time for the decisive games?
Because of my knee, which I injured back in March. Then, in the fifth game against Buffalo, I took a hit on that same knee.

Since you're playing football now, does that mean your knee is no longer bothering you?
Yes, it's fine.

Did you talk to (Team Russia coach) Vyacheslav Bykov before the game against the Czechs?
Yes. He left me a message, and then we talked, and I explained everything to him. It seemed like he understood.

Whenever a player refuses to join the national team, whether it's because of an injury or a family matter, many look at it as just a convenient excuse...
I've always wanted to play for the national team. From the very beginning of the season I stayed in touch with Sergei Nemchinov (Team Russia assistant coach). I said right away that if I wasn't injured and the Rangers were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs, that I would join the team. I even made sure that I had no other plans during the World Championships.

I got a very positive impression of Bykov. Judging by both the World Championships and the environment within the team, it seems to me that he is worthy of remaining the coach of the national team for a long time.

The Rangers beat Atlanta easily in the first round. What impression did you have of Kovalchuk and his team?
I had the opportunity to stay on during Ilya's shifts. I wouldn't say that he played badly. Even Kozlov, Tkachuk, and Hossa played up to their levels. It seems to me that Atlanta played more as individuals than as a team.

In the next round you lost to Buffalo. Were the Sabres actually that good?
They were strong for the entire season, and stayed in first place the whole way. They're helped by the fact that all four components can play at a high speed. We didn't have enough to stop them.

If SKA-St.Petersburg were to offer you an equivalent contract, would you return to St. Petersburg?
It's not about the money. First, it's been my dream since childhood to play in the NHL, and second, I am now at the age where it is time for me to show what I am capable of. In any case, I have a contract with the Rangers for next season, so why even talk about this?

Many young Russian hockey players come to the NHL but then don't find success with their team and return home. Why is this?
It's too complicated for me to say. It could depend upon a lot of factors: the situation and the timing, the team, the coaches... or even other things, like injuries.

On the whole, how was this season for you?
I'll always think that I could've played better, but I can't call it an unsuccessful season. I got a lot out of this season, very much so.