Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Flashbulb Nation



Clay Buchholz' no-hitter at Fenway Park last night? Amazingly enough, I was there.

I've been close to seeing a no-hitter in person two times before, both in the minors: Mike Bertolli's late-season bid for the Waterbury Spirit against Elmira or somebody on a cold night in 2000, broken up in the 8th inning, and then some Orioles prospect throwing a near no-no for the Bowie Bay Sox against the New Haven Ravens one season, the details of which escape me entirely.

This was probably my sixth trip to Fenway, the last time being Game Three of the 2003 ALCS, when all hell broke loose and Pedro Martinez olé-d Don Zimmer face-first into the ground. The Fenway crowd has become a bit less baseball-savvy since then, unfortunately, not the least annoying of which is the literally hundreds of camera flashes popping off everytime the pitcher releases a pitch to David Ortiz-- as if the average camera flash is effective for more than 15 freakin' feet anyway, much less the distance between the outfield bleachers and home plate.

Then there was the playing of the God-forsaken Ass Bonanza over the stadium PA after Mike Lowell's RBI double in the sixth, but I'm willing to let choking dogs lie with that one.

Buchholz benefitted from a handful of checked-swing punchouts that could've gone the other way, but Baltimore has such a miserable team this year that after the crowd picked up on the no-hit bid in the fifth and sixth innings, it only seemed like a matter of time.


Yes, I took a picture of my tickets. What about it?

Connecticut's Eastern League teams were represented well in this game, with Coco Crisp (New Haven Ravens, '02) picking up the game-winning RBI, and Bobby Kielty (New Britain Rock Cats, '00) going 2-for-4.

One final note-- it seems a shame that Taxachussets drivers get the benefit of gas prices that are 20 cents per gallon cheaper than in Connecticut, since practically every car on the Mass Pike is a piece of crap anyway.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled blog shutdown, already in progress.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Tapeleg said...

I am sooooo jealous.

9/2/07, 7:22 PM

 
Anonymous cc2k said...

Yeah! (no cause of the shut-out... but because the blog is back... for now.)

9/3/07, 9:01 AM

 
Anonymous quint said...

Why am I even coming back here?

9/3/07, 9:17 AM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

^
Maybe it's sorta like a wake, or something.

9/3/07, 9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Sutter family might draw you out. It took a no-hitter. You're tougher than I feared.

9/3/07, 9:59 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

Oh, yeah-- about those Sutters...

9/3/07, 10:38 PM

 
Anonymous G12 said...

My Brother was also in attendance at the game.
I would love to see a no hitter no matter what team pitcher hurled it.
I have seen two inside the park home runs and a triple play all at the major leauge level.
And by the way stick to your word or don't FAG.

9/4/07, 12:07 PM

 
Anonymous mrs. brushback said...

I don't know what's worse, my husband taking a picture (with my camera, no less) of his Red Sox tickets or the fact that said tickets, a mini bat, programs, lineup sheets and a $30 parking receipt are taking up space in my Red Sox-free zone (which extends at least 1/2 mile beyond the perimeter of our property).

9/4/07, 4:35 PM

 
Blogger Brushback said...

You forgot the Red Sox blanket we came back with.

Apparently, how technically proficient I am with someone else's camera is not all that impressive.

9/4/07, 6:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Go To Main Page